Estonian Drama Theatre


Address: Tallinn, 10148, Pärnu mnt 5
Phone: (+372) 6805555; (+372) 6802222
Fax: (+372) 6831401
E-mail: info@draamateater.ee
Website: www.draamateater.ee/

This theatre was born in 1920 under the leadership of Paul Sepp, who also founded a theatre school. From 1924 his pupils continued under the name of Draamastuudio Teater, which in 1937 reverted to the name of Eesti Draamateater. In 1939, it purchased itself the stylish Art Nouveau building of the former German Theatre (before the Estonian Theatre had rented its stage), where it has remained to this day.

In Soviet times its name was The Tallinn Drama Theatre, which was changed back in 1989. In the late 1940s the drama troupe of the Estonia and the remnants of The Workers Theatre were forcibly amalgamated to its company; for fifteen years, until the foundation of the Youth Theatre in 1965, it remained the only Estonian-language drama theatre of the capital. In addition to its 426-seat big auditorium a 159-seat small stage was opened in 1967.

In 2004 70-seat Paintshop stage was opened. Throughout the years the theatre has been led by many outstanding directors: Leo Kalmet, Priit Põldroos, Ants Lauter, Ilmar Tammur, Voldemar Panso, Mikk Mikiver, Evald Hermaküla, and Merle Karusoo. At present it works under the artistic director Priit Pedajas and general director Rein Oja. It is the nearest equivalent to an academic (or national) theatre we have in Estonia, and It stages both Estonian and world drama classics and contemporary plays. Special attention is paid to Estonian drama, both classics and new writing. With its 34-member actors troupe and 4 directors it is the biggest drama company in the country. During a season more than 500 performances for more than 100,000 spectators are given.


Back Up
Search the site
November 2018
M T W T F S S
      01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30    
Made by Wiseman